Progressive is one of the most famous insurance companies out there, known best for its home and auto insurance.
But the company’s products extend far beyond those two lines of insurance, with over 30 financial products, one of which is pet insurance policies.
As pet owners, if you want to protect your pet with a trusted pet insurance provider you’re familiar with and gain peace of mind, Progressive pet insurance is worth considering.
With vet bills growing larger each year, pet parents don’t need to be placed in a position to forgo medical care because of budgetary reasons. Pet insurance works as a reprieve for your budget, definitely proving it is worth it.
We’ve looked at some the best pet health insurance companies available, including Healthy Paws and Trupanion. But today, we’ll look beyond Progressive’s brand recognition to give you the rundown on the company’s pet insurance coverage, exclusions, and insurance costs.
Table of Contents:
- About Progressive Pet Insurance
- Progressive Pet Insurance Options
- Waiting Periods
- Sample Quotes
- Pros and Cons
- Alternatives to Progressive Pet Insurance
About Progressive Pet Insurance
Progressive was in business long before Flo, everyone’s favorite savings-loving insurance spokeswoman, came along.
The company story dates back to 1937, when the Progressive Mutual Insurance company set out to protect drivers from the expenses associated with car accidents.
Over its near-century of experience, Progressive has remained a leader in the insurance industry, expanding to include dozens more lines of insurance.
Fast forward to 2007, when Progressive joined up with Pets Best to offer health insurance plans for dogs and cats.
Like Pets Best, Progressive’s plans are underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company, a New York insurance company, which is currently unrated by A.M. Best.
But, along with Progressive, Pets Best appears to be a reliable insurance provider, with an “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
You can count on the financial stability of both companies, trusting them to responsibly manage and pay out your claims.
Progressive Pet Insurance Plan Options
Progressive offers pet insurance plans with the following cat and dog insurance coverage options: accident only, bestbenefit accident, and illness plan.
Some expenses are automatically included with this base level monthly premiums, while others are add-ons. Think dental cleanings and vet visits or check-ups.
Below, we’ll look at what’s included in Progressive’s BestBenefit plan:
- Acupuncture and chiropractics
- Cancer care
- Emergency care
- Exam fees with qualifying plans
- Illnesses, including congenital and hereditary conditions
- Lab testing
- Medicine injections
- MRI, CAT scans, and X-rays
- Outpatient care
- Physical rehabilitative treatment
- Rx meds
- Specialist care
- Surgery and hospitalization
What’s Not Covered
The common treatments and conditions below, among others, are not included:
- Anal gland expression
- Alternative, holistic, or experimental treatments
- Behavioral treatment
- Bilateral conditions
- Boarding and transportation
- Chronic conditions
- Cosmetic or elective procedures
- Cremation and burial
- Intentional injuries at the hands of the owner or members of their household
- Intervertebral disc conditions
- Parasite prevention/treatment
- Prescriptions unrelated to covered conditions
- Racing injuries
- Wellness exams
If you’d like coverage for some of the preventative treatments above, you’ll have to purchase a wellness plan.
Progressive offers two levels of routine care:
- EssentialWellness: $16/month
- BestWellness: $26/month
Both plans help with the routine costs associated with maintaining your pet’s health, with the BestWellness plan offering higher levels of benefits.
If you can’t afford the more comprehensive accident and illness plan offered by Progressive, there is a less costly alternative.
Progressive has an optional accident-only plan, which doesn’t account for any illnesses but does cover pet injuries.
The coverage comes with a $250 deductible, 90% reimbursement, and a $10k maximum annual payout for accidents.
This plan comes at a flat rate of $9 a month.
Progressive Pet Insurance Waiting Periods
With pet insurance, you can expect a waiting period, a defined amount of time before your coverage takes effect.
Progressive’s waiting periods are as follows:
- Accident coverage: 3 days
- Illness coverage: 14 days
- Cruciate ligament conditions: 6 months
The waiting period starts on day one of your policy.
Progressive Pet Insurance Quotes
Wondering how much a Progressive pet insurance plan costs? Well, it depends.
Pet insurers determine your rates by looking at a few criteria:
- Species and breed: Is your pet a dog or cat? Cats are less expensive to insure based on their risk factors. Likewise, some breeds are predisposed to certain conditions.
- Age and gender:There are further risk factors based on your pet’s gender and especially their age, meaning rates climb as your pet gets older, with no age limits on coverage.
- Location: The cost of pet health care varies across different regions, states, and cities.
- Deductibles: The more you’re willing to pay out of pocket in your annual deductible before coverage kicks in, the lower premiums you’re likely to get.
- Reimbursement: Likewise, most pet providers let you choose between 70-90% reimbursement options, which obviously impacts rates based on whatever reimbursement level you choose.
- Benefit limits: Whether per-incident, annual, or lifetime, the max amount of coverage you choose can weigh heavily on the cost.
Progressive has three levels of benefits: Essential, Plus, and Elite.
Progressive Pet Insurance Sample Quotes for a Dog
The sample rates below are for a 20-55 lb. mixed breed puppy at two years of age in South Carolina.
With 80% reimbursement, a $250 deductible, and unlimited annual benefits, the dog referenced above could get the following coverage:
- Accidents and illnesses
- Emergency care
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescription medications
The Plus plan includes the Essential coverage above, plus:
- accident and illness exam fees
Progressive states that the Plus policy is its most popular offer.
Elite coverage encompasses all of the specifics above, plus:
The only stipulation for these services is that they must be prescribed for covered illnesses and injuries.
Progressive Pet Insurance Discounts
You can save on all of these plans with a few discounts:
- Multi-policy discount: Want to bundle pet insurance with other products from Progressive? Policyholders can save by holding multiple policies.
- Multi-pet discount: Save 5% on the coverage when you insure multiple pets with Progressive.
- Military discount: Veterans and military members can save an additional 5% on coverage.
Pros and Cons
You should think about the pros and cons of buying pet insurance from Progressive before making a decision.
- Wellness: Routine care is not a standard offering with many pet insurance companies. Progressive offers two levels of wellness care with generous benefits.
- Claims: Progressive has a strong reputation when it comes to claims satisfaction on pet insurance plans, with an app to simplify the claims filing process.
- Affordability: Progressive has a level of coverage to meet every budget, whether you’re looking for simple accident protection or a comprehensive plan.
- Waiting Periods: Waiting periods aren’t uncommon in the pet insurance industry, but they are worth noting. You may find shorter waits for some conditions elsewhere.
- Coverage Limits: Progressive’s most basic policy doesn’t cover exam fees, and some other expenses requiring upgrading to a more highly-priced plan.
- Underwriters: While these policies are accessed and marketed through Progressive, they’re actually sourced by Pets Best and underwritten by an unrated insurance company.
Alternatives to Progressive
No matter how great a pet insurance company seems, you should never stop your search for the right policy with just one provider.
Comparison shopping could result in sizable savings as all companies’ underwriting looks different.
Be sure to take a look at some of the other most highly-rated pet insurance companies, too:
Is Progressive Pet Insurance Right for You?
Progressive has a lot to offer: comprehensive coverage, flexible policy options, and affordable premiums, not to mention the backing of an industry giant.
If you want to go beyond the basics of accident and illness coverage, Progressive could be a valuable provider.
The company’s policies are especially advantageous for current Progressive members, who can bundle policies and save.
Bottom line: There’s no reason not to get quotes from Progressive and to consider them in your search for pet insurance.
Progressive Pet Insurance