Progressive Car Insurance
- M. Best: A+
- Standard and Poor’s: AA
- Moody’s: Aa
Thanks to Flo, Progressive is a household name across the United States.
It’s also one of the country’s largest companies, with nearly a century of experience providing insurance to the millions.
If you’re looking for car insurance on a budget from a name you can trust, Progressive is worth considering.
We’ll walk through the ins and outs of Progressive’s coverage, customer experience, and the pros and cons of insuring your car with them below.
Table of Contents
- About Progressive
- Policy Features
- Getting Quotes
- Progressive Discounts
- Customer Service and Support
- Pros and Cons
- Alternatives to Progressive
Progressive opened its doors for business in 1937 when Ohio natives Joseph Lewis and Jack Green decided to bring innovation to car insurance by offering in-person claims.
The company continued to trailblaze, extending their product lineup to include a whole host of insurance products over the decades to follow.
In the 90s, Progressive became the first company that allowed you to buy a policy completely online, and they continue to make future-forward strides in their approach to car insurance.
Here’s a snapshot of Progressive today:
- 37,000 employees
- 13 million policies
- Fortune’s 100 Best Places to Work For & 3rd Best Workplace for Diversity
Progressive has built a strong reputation over the last century, exemplified in its consistently high credit ratings.
These ratings indicate that Progressive is in excellent financial shape and capable of paying its policyholders’ claims.
- M. Best: A+
- Standard and Poor’s: AA
- Moody’s: Aa
In addition to financial strength ratings, Progressive was given a 3 out of 5 in the 2019 J.D. Power U.S Auto Insurance Study and ranked in the top 10.
Progressive also carries an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, suggesting they are communicative and respond well to customer concerns.
Progressive Car Insurance
Progressive offers over 30 types of insurance, making them perfect for bundling policies. Today, we’ll focus on their car insurance lineup.
Here are all the types of coverage you can purchase from Progressive:
- Liability coverage: The most basic car insurance protects you from the financial burden of someone’s medical expenses, lost income, or damaged property when you’re at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: If your car is damaged by something you can’t control, like a run in with a deer, a hailstorm, or vandalism, comprehensive coverage can help.
- Collision coverage: If you’re in an accident with another car or an object like a tree or a sign, regardless of who’s at fault, collision coverage kicks in for damages and even pet injuries.
- Uninsured/underinsured bodily injury: If you’re in an accident and the person at fault has insufficient or no auto insurance, this coverage can help pay for your medical bills and lost wages.
- Uninsured/underinsured property damage: Likewise, this coverage helps to repair or replace your car when the person at fault lacks the coverage to do so.
- Medical payments: Whether you’re at fault or not, this coverage protects you and your passengers. The same applies if you’re hit while cycling or walking.
- Roadside assistance: This coverage can pay for services like towing, locksmiths, and tire changes, no matter where you are.
- Rideshare coverage: This coverage adds to the protection offered by Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare services to protect you while you’re waiting for riders, not just driving them.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your accident was covered, this feature pays for a rental vehicle while your car is in the shop.
- Loan/lease payoff: Commonly known as gap insurance, this coverage bridges the gap between what you still owe on your car and what it’s worth.
- Custom parts and equipment value: CPE coverage can help cover the repair or replacement cost of anything you added to the car, like a sound system or custom paint job.
Progressive also has a deductible savings bank feature which subtracts $50 from your comprehensive and collision deductible amount for every 6 months you go without an accident.
Progressive Auto Insurance Quotes
Progressive makes getting quotes simple on the Progressive website.
The site will ask for your:
- Name, DOB, SSN
- Address and housing status
- Type of vehicle
- Amount of time you’ve had a driver’s license
- Moving violations that occurred in the last 3 years
- Current auto insurance, if any
- Additional coverage preferences and discount options
Once you input your information, you’ll get an overview of the rates you’re eligible for.
If you aren’t happy with what you see, the famous Name Your Price tool can help you find ways to reduce the cost.
Progressive is committed to helping policyholders save as much as possible on car insurance.
Here’s a quick glance at some of the ways they help drivers save:
- Multi-car: Average 12% discount when two or more vehicles are insured
- Multi-policy: Average 5% discount when you bundle policies
- Continuous coverage: Discount varies for loyal customers
- Snapshot: The Snapshot app saves customers an average $145, building rates around your real-time habits on the road.
- Teen drivers: Teen drivers tend to cost more, but this discount helps offset the cost.
- Good student: With at least a “B” average, college students who live 100 miles from home can get discounts up to age 22.
- Distant student: If your insured student lives at least 100 miles away and leaves their car at home, you can be awarded this discount.
- Homeowner: If you own a home, period, you can save an average of 10% on premiums.
- Online quotes: When you start by getting an online quote you could save around 4% on premiums.
- Online signature: Sign your documents virtually and you’ll get a discount averaging 8.5%.
- Go paperless: Electronic delivery of policy documents comes with discounted rates.
- Autopay: Setting up automated payments makes you eligible for a discount as well.
- Pay upfront: Paying for all 6 months of coverage in full earns a discount, but you can’t combine this one with autopay.
Customer Service and Support
While J.D. Power gave Progressive average ratings for customer service, the company’s NAIC score suggests it has fewer complaints than a lot of its competitors.
One of the biggest benefits of buying insurance from Progressive is the access to 24/7 customer service.
You can contact a Progressive team member via the website, app, email, or phone at any time, day or night.
Securing your personal information is important to Progressive.
With so many customers, Progressive takes careful measures to keep their policy details, payment, and other confidential information safe.
The company provides an explanation of these measures on their website and information on how to report fraudulent activity and other security issues.
Pros and Cons of Progressive
Like any other car insurance company, Progressive has some advantages and drawbacks. Consider both as you shop for the right coverage.
- Discounts: Progressive’s wide variety of discounts for loyalty, safe driving, and paperless services are hard to beat.
- Other insurance products: With over 30 lines of insurance to choose from, you can house several policies with Progressive and save.
- 24/7 customer service: Not every provider is open to assist you around the clock, but Progressive is.
- Average satisfaction: J.D. Power gives the company a cumulative score of 3 out of 5, which doesn’t stand out from the crowd.
- Cost: Progressive isn’t the cheapest provider, but their discounts can help you save.
Alternatives to Progressive
As you shop around for car insurance, you might want to explore these alternatives to Progressive:
- GEICO: For another painless and easy online buying experience, take a look at GEICO. They’re likely to provide better rates, too.
- Amica: If you’re looking for the highest claims satisfaction and top-notch customer service, Amica should be at the top of your list.
- Allstate: If you don’t have a great driving record but still want a chance to improve your rates, Allstate is an alternative worth considering.
Is Progressive Car Insurance For You?
Progressive is popular for more reasons than memorable commercials.
From its Name Your Price tool to its versatile insurance lineup and discounts, Progressive has the right policy to meet most people’s needs.
The best company is the one that’s best for you, so take the time to find a provider that has the policy and rates that best match your needs and budget.