Do you have a plan in place to pay your pet’s medical bills if the unexpected happens? A pet insurance policy could help shoulder the cost and provide your cat or dog with the lifesaving care they need.
One popular pet insurance provider looking to help is Petplan. With comprehensive coverage options for young and old animals, Petplan could have the policy your pet needs.
The Petplan insurance review below takes a closer look at the policies the company has to offer to see how it compares to other providers.
Table of Contents:
- About Petplan
- Petplan Insurance
- Waiting Period and Exclusions
- Petplan Cost
- Pros & Cons
- Alternatives to Petplan
Founded in the UK in 1976, Petplan opened its doors to the US in 2001. Over the years, it has grown from a startup to a thriving insurance company, still run by people with a heart for protecting pets.
Incorporated under the umbrella of Fetch, Inc., policies from Petplan are underwritten by the XL Specialty Insurance Company.
Though you might not be familiar with these names, they’re hailed as financially strong and dependable in the insurance industry.
Petplan has an “A” rating from A.M. Best, suggesting the company’s financial outlook is bright and they’re likely to maintain their obligations. They also have an “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau, speaking to their emphasis on customer service and first-rate business practices.
For these reasons and more, Petplan is the preferred pet insurer for AARP.
The company’s heart for services is commendable as well, as their charitable fund supports organizations committed to bettering the lives of animals.
All in all, Petplan has earned its reputation as an upstanding premier pet insurance company.
PetPlan has one comprehensive policy for cats and dogs that covers accidents, injuries, and illnesses.
Though Petplan doesn’t offer wellness care, its accident and illness coverage is among the most comprehensive on the market.
It’s also exceptional for older pets, as Petplan does not discriminate based on age.
Here’s a rundown of what this policy covers, and what it doesn’t.
- Cancer treatments
- CAT scans, MRIs, and ultrasound imaging
- Diagnostic treatment: All lab test expenses for covered injuries or illnesses
- Hereditary and chronic conditions
- Holistic treatments: Includes acupuncture, chiropractics, and the like
- Non-routine dental care: To be eligible, your pet mus have been to a checkup in the last 12 months.
- Prescriptions: If part of treatment for a covered illness or injury, excludes vitamins and heartworm and flea prevention
- Referrals and specialist treatment
- Surgery and rehab
- Vet exam fees: Includes emergency and medical care
The policy also comes with unique coverages like vacation cancellation due to a pet’s injury or illness, kennel fees if you’re hospitalized, and the loss of a pet if it goes missing. Petplan even pays to help you advertise a reward for your lost pet.
What Isn’t Covered
Essentially, any medical expenses that fall into the category of maintaining your animal’s wellness rather than reacting to an emergency incident will not be covered.
Petplan specifically mentions the expenses below as being excluded from coverage:
- Cosmetic procedures
- Liability coverage
- Pre-existing conditions*
- Preventative care
*Petplan defines pre-existing conditions as those that occurred or showed symptoms prior to the end of the policy’s waiting period.
Petplan Waiting Periods and Exclusions
Petplan’s policies do come with waiting periods for certain coverages.
What you can expect for Petplan’s waiting periods:
- Injury/illness: 15-day waiting period
- Hip dysplasia, cruciate, patella: 6-month exclusion
If your pet is examined by a vet and records show their knees are free of any pre-existing conditions, the 6-month exclusion of these injuries and illnesses can be waived.
Petplan Pet Insurance Cost
Petplan looks at several factors to determine the cost of your policy. They’ll evaluate your pet’s age and breed along with your location.
What you pay will also be determined by the reimbursement amount you choose. The higher the reimbursement amount you choose, the higher your monthly premiums will be, as you can see below.
Scaling back the reimbursement percentage can drastically reduce premiums, though it does mean you are taking on more risk.
Petplan Pet Insurance Cost for a Dog
To give you an idea of how much coverage costs, here are sample quotes for a 3-year-old Yorkie in Atlanta, Georgia.
They show which policy is the most affordable, the most popular option, and the one with the highest reimbursement value.
|$5,000 maximum annual payout||$15,000 maximum annual payout||Unlimited maximum annual payout|
|$500 annual deductible||$300 annual deductible||$250 annual deductible|
|80% reimbursement||80% reimbursement||90% reimbursement|
Petplan Pet Insurance Cost for a Cat
The same amounts of coverage for a 3-year-old short-haired domestic cat in Atlanta, Georgia would cost between $20 and $35.
Petplan Insurance Discounts
Petplan offers discounts for medical service pets, and to those owned by veterans and current members of the military.
Pros and Cons
Petplan is one of the best pet insurance providers out there, but like any company, it has both pros and cons.
- Unique Coverage: Petplan offers a set of benefits you aren’t likely to find with other providers, helping out beyond offering conventional medical coverage.
- Quick Claims Processing: While Petplan has a 30-day claims processing window, most claims are paid out in under a week.
- Older Animal Coverage: Petplan is one of the most generous providers for aging pets, with especially great rates for older cats.
- No Wellness Plan: You can’t get coverage for routine care from Petplan, meaning you’ll be responsible for footing the bill for these services.
- Checkup Requirements: Dog owners are required to keep up-to-date on dental treatments and wellness checkups, even though they aren’t covered.
- Cost: While Petplan’s policies aren’t outrageously priced, their policies aren’t the cheapest either.
Alternatives to Petplan Pet Insurance
Petplan is one of many great pet insurance companies. Make sure you shop around and explore multiple options to land on the best policy, at the lowest price.
Here are a few alternatives to Petplan that are worth checking out:
Is Petplan Pet Insurance for You?
Petplan’s pet insurance isn’t the most affordable, but it is the most comprehensive.
With its unique coverage features, you get unmatched peace of mind in case an emergency illness or injury befalls your pet.
If you have an aging cat to insure, you won’t likely find premiums that match Petplan’s anywhere else.
Take the time to assess your pet insurance needs and choose a policy that fits your budget. You can start by getting quotes today.
Petplan Pet Insurance
- A.M. Best: A
- BBB: A+