Applying for life insurance is something that can take time for an individual to sort out. This can especially be the case if you’ve been turned down for coverage in the past due to an adverse health condition such as metabolic syndrome.
The good news is, though, that even if you’ve been diagnosed with this health condition, there are ways to obtain the life insurance protection that you need – you just may need to work with a specialist who can help you in getting through the application process.
What is Metabolic Syndrome and How Can It Affect Your Life Insurance Application?
Metabolic Syndrome is not an actual disease in and of itself, but rather it is defined as being a group of health conditions that can put an individual at a higher risk for both diabetes and heart disease. Some of the conditions that can put someone at risk of obtaining Metabolic Syndrome can include the following:
- Being overweight – especially those who have excessive body fat around the waist
- High blood pressure
- Fasting glucose levels that are higher than 110 mg / dl
- Elevated lipids / elevated LDL cholesterol / elevated triglycerides
Certainly, while any one of these issues is not good in terms of an individual’s overall health, when they are combined, they can set the stage for some much greater health related issues. For example, together, these issues can double a person’s risk of having heart and / or blood vessel disease – which can, in turn, lead to a stroke or a heart attack. These conditions can also substantially increase a person’s risk of contracting diabetes.
Although experts are not certain why metabolic syndrome develops in individuals, some of the primary risk factors can include:
- Obesity – One of the primary risk factors for metabolic syndrome is obesity – especially that around the abdominal area.
- Insulin Resistance – Insulin, the hormone that helps bodies to use glucose as energy, is a simple sugar that is made from the food that is consumed. Those who have insulin resistance, however, are unable to use insulin properly, and therefore, their bodies will continue to keep making more of it in order to cope with the rising glucose level. This will eventually lead to diabetes, if you need more information on diabetic life insurance, we can help.
- Hormone Imbalance – A person’s hormones can also play a part in contracting metabolic syndrome. As an example, a condition that affects fertility, polycystic ovary syndrome – or PCOS – is related to both a hormone imbalance and to metabolic syndrome.
- Unhealthy Lifestyle – An overall unhealthy lifestyle can also be a key factor in metabolic syndrome. Here, if one tends to eat a diet that is high in fat, in conjunction with not getting enough exercise, they may have a higher chance of obtaining this condition.
The good news is that by making some simple life changes, a person can help to improve their overall health – and in so doing, they can also help to prevent a more serious health issue in the future. This, too, can also help in getting approved for life insurance coverage, and for getting better life insurance premium rates.
What Will the Life Insurance Underwriters Want to Know If You Have Metabolic Syndrome?
If you have been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, the process for applying for life insurance will likely require that you go through several steps. First, as with most other coverage application situations, you will need to completely fill out an application for coverage. This is where the life insurance company will ask you for information regarding your:
- Height and weight (as your weight relates to your height)
- Smoking status / Tobacco usage
- Alcohol usage / frequency
- Occupation and income
- Marital status
- Health history / Family history
- Risky hobbies
- Foreign travel frequency (if applicable)
- Other life insurance in force (and the amount of coverage)
It is essential that all of this information is filled out completely and truthfully. If it is discovered in the future that information is incorrect, it could nullify your life insurance policy – even after it has been put in force.
It is also likely that you will need to take a paramedical examination as a part of the underwriting process. This usually entails meeting with a paramedic professional who will take a heart rate, pulse, and blood pressure reading, as well as a blood and a urine sample. These samples will be tested by the insurance company for various health related risks.
In addition, the insurance company may also request to review your medical records from your primary care physician and / or from any specialist that you may see. These records will help the underwriters to obtain a clearer picture of your overall health.
When certain conditions are present such as high blood pressure, elevated lipids, elevated LDL cholesterol, and / or elevated triglycerides, life insurance underwriters will typically want to take a closer look at an applicant’s health and medical information prior to making a final determination regarding the individual’s coverage.
Therefore, for those who have metabolic syndrome, there will typically be some additional questions to answer. These may include some or all of the following:
- When were you initially diagnosed with metabolic syndrome?
- What exactly was the diagnosis?
- What steps, if any, have you taken with regard to your health condition since obtaining your metabolic syndrome diagnosis?
- Do you have any other adverse health or medical condition due to the metabolic syndrome?
- Do you take any prescription medication due to your condition – and if so, what is the medication, and what is the dosage?
- Do you help to manage or control your metabolic syndrome in any other manner such as diet and / or exercise?
- Have you had any type of relevant lab tests performed over the past six months?
Once the insurance company has obtained all of the information, it will be able to make a much better determination regarding your overall health condition, and in turn, about the coverage that you have applied for. It will also be able to decide upon an appropriate premium amount to charge for your policy’s coverage.
How Much Will You Have to Pay for Coverage If You Have Metabolic Syndrome?
For many applicants, life insurance coverage can be obtained at a Standard policyholder class. This is especially the case if you are otherwise in good health aside from your metabolic syndrome. Should you be provided with a Standard policy classification, then you will be charged the premium rate of an average policyholder who is of your same class and gender.
If, however, it is determined that your health is somewhat riskier, then you may instead be placed into a substandard policy class. Here, you will be charged a higher amount of premium rate for your coverage. A good example of this is if you were to get classified for an overweight or obese life insurance rating. This will cause you significantly higher premiums than getting the standard rates.
How to Find the Best Life Insurance Premium Quotes For Those with Metabolic Syndrome
If you are seeking quotes on life insurance with metabolic syndrome, then the best way to proceed is to work with either an agency or a company that has access to more than just one insurance carrier. Doing so will allow you to more directly compare multiple life insurance companies, policies, benefits, and premium quotes – and to then determine which will provide you with the best option for your specific needs.
When you are ready to move forward, we can help. We work with many of the best life insurance carriers in the marketplace today – and we can assist you in obtaining all of the pertinent details that you may require for making a more informed buying decision. We can do so quickly, easily, and conveniently – all from your home computer, and without the need to meet in person with a life insurance agent. If you are ready to begin, all you need to do is fill out the form on this page.
Should you find that you have any additional questions about buying life insurance with metabolic syndrome – or even if you have any questions about life insurance in general – our experts can assist you with your concerns. We can help you in determining what type of life insurance is best, as well as how much coverage you may require for covering all of your potential needs. We can also help you to narrow down which of the many carriers in the marketplace may be the best one for your needs. We can be reached directly by phone, toll-free, by dialing 888-229-7522.
Sometimes it can seem that the purchase of life insurance is overwhelming. But the truth is that when you have an ally on your side, it can be so much easier to get the protection that you need to ensure that your loved ones won’t have to endure financial hardship. So, contact us today – we’re here to help.