When applying for life insurance coverage, there are a number of different factors that can have an effect on whether or not you will qualify for coverage, as well as the amount that you will pay in premium if you are accepted.
Certainly, one of the biggest criteria is your overall health condition. Should there be anything that has an impact on shortening your life expectancy, the life insurance company may consider it to be more of a risk.
Table of Contents:
- Can You Qualify?
- What is HPV?
- Underwriting with HPV
- Policy Cost
- Where to Find Life Insurance with HPV
Can You Qualify for Life Insurance With HPV?
Those who have been affected by HPV, the Human Papillomavirus, can qualify for life insurance.
However, it may be required that the insured person pay a higher amount of premium in order to compensate for the higher amount of risk taken on by the insurer, depending on other health-related factors.
What is HPV?
Human papillomavirus, or HPV, is considered to be the most common of the sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. It is not the same type of virus as herpes or HIV, and it is, in fact, so common that many women and men will typically contract it at some point in their lives.
There are several different types of HPV. Some versions of the virus will cause an individual to contract genital warts and even cancer. However, there are a number of vaccines that are available that can prevent these health issues from occurring.
Although in most instances HPV will go away on its own and will not cause further serious health-related issues, there are cases where the human papillomavirus could be the cause for certain types of cervical cancers – including cancer of the vulva, anus, penis, or vagina.
The virus may also cause cancer in the back of the throat, as well as at the base of the tongue and the tonsils. Because of this, it can be considered much more serious, and therefore it must be analyzed further before an individual may be approved for life insurance coverage.
Underwriting with HPV
If you have been diagnosed with HPV and you are applying for whole or term life insurance, the underwriters will typically want to know more in-depth information regarding your overall condition. Some of the information that you may be asked could include details such as:
- When were you initially diagnosed with HPV?
- What are the primary symptoms of your condition?
- What, if any, medications are you taking for your condition?
- What, if any, tests have been performed by your doctor regarding your condition and what were the results?
There’s a medical exam that takes place a week or so later and it’s a standard process that is short and takes place at either your home or office.
The medical examination will also include the submission of a blood and urine sample. These samples will be analyzed by the insurance company for certain other health issues that could put the insurer at risk for paying out a future potential claim.
How Much Will Your Policy Cost with HPV?
Although most insurance companies have a slightly different system, there are typically three primary categories or classifications of life insurance policies in which insureds will fall into. These are based primarily on their overall health. These classifications include:
- Preferred – Applicants who are in excellent health, and who have family histories of excellent health as well, may be rated as a Preferred. These individuals will typically be charged less for their life insurance coverage than the average person due to the lower amount of risk that they pose to the insurance company.
- Standard – A person who is considered to be of “average” health will usually be rated as a Standard policy rating. These policyholders will be charged an average policy rate as compared to other policyholders who are also of average health, height, and weight.
- Sub-Standard – Those insureds who are in below average health, but not poor enough to be declined for coverage altogether, may be rated as a Sub-Standard. Because these policyholders present a higher amount of risk of claim to the life insurance company, they will usually be charged a higher amount of premium for their coverage.
Where to Find Life Insurance with HPV
If your goal is to get the lowest rates possible, then use our quote form on this page to start the process of comparing rates with multiple top life insurance companies in the business.