When purchasing life insurance coverage, it is important that the underwriters know the amount of risk that the insurer will be taking on with the applicant. In many cases, when a proposed insured is in good health, he or she is usually able to obtain the life insurance protection that they are seeking.
In other instances, though, if they have an adverse condition, getting the coverage that they want and need can become a bit more challenging. Sometimes, the underwriters will need to review additional health information to make their final determination. In still other cases, it may be necessary to work with a high-risk life insurance specialist.
If you have a condition such as Bechterew’s Disease, the good news is that, provided you are otherwise in good health, you can likely qualify for life insurance coverage. However, you may still need to work with a high-risk life insurance agent to point you in the direction of a carrier that is more apt to take you on. This is where we can assist you. We also understand there are other specific needs that people need help with such as what is the best life insurance for smokers, insurance for diabetics or what is the best life insurance for pilots, we are here to help with those needs as well. There are also companies who offer life insurance for overweight individuals.
How Bechterew’s Disease Can Have an Effect on Your Application for Life Insurance Coverage
Bechterew’s disease – also known as ankylosing spondylitis – is a type of arthritic condition that commonly causes inflammation of the spine. This condition will typically affect males more often than females, and it is usually inherited genetically.
With this condition, the axial skeleton is usually affected the most, as well as the moveable joints that are in the shoulders, hips, knees, and fingers. An individual may also have signs of vertebral disc erosion, as well as the possibility of osteoporosis. If you have Bechterew’s Disease, you may experience lower back pain, as well as stiffness – especially during the morning. You may also experience immobility.
For these reasons, it will be important to ensure that you keep your condition well managed and / or well controlled, as it could lead to more serious health issues in the future. And, it may have an effect on your life insurance application for coverage.
What the Life Insurance Underwriters Will Want to Know About You
When applying for life insurance coverage, an applicant will first be required to fully complete an application for coverage. It’s a standard application that asks demographic questions and some personal health questions.
You will also be asked some more in-depth questions regarding your Bechterew’s Disease, such as the following:
- When were you diagnosed with Bechterew’s Disease? Because the symptoms is this condition can occur over time, the earlier that you were diagnosed with it, the more time it will have had to worsen – and therefore, the more likely it may be to have developed into complications.
- Do you have any spine misalignment and / or other type of postural deformity due to your Bechterew’s Disease? Having a spinal misalignment and / or other type of deformity can be a sign of a more serious complication – which in turn, may require additional evaluation by the life insurance underwriters. If for example, you are not able to perform basic daily activities, then it may be that your life insurance coverage could be either declined altogether or that it could be approved as a Substandard policy rating.
- Do you take any medication for your Bechterew’s Disease? If so, what medication do you take, and what is / are the dosage(s)? If you take medication for your Bechterew’s Disease, then it could also be an indication that your condition is more serious in nature. This could lead the life insurance underwriters to a Mild Substandard, or even to a Substandard policy rating for your coverage.
- Do you visit your medical professional regularly? Seeing a doctor or other medical professional on a regular basis can be a good sign that you are working to manage and / or to control your condition.
- Do you have regular therapy to help in correcting the deformities and / or to help in preventing complications of your Bechterew’s Disease? Likewise, having regular therapy sessions to help in correcting any current deformities and / or to help in preventing further complications can be a good indication that you are also working to manage and / or to control your condition.
- Has there been any recent lab or diagnostic tests that have been run on you in the last 12 months? What did those reports say about the progression of Bechterew’s?
You will also be required to take a medical exam for the underwriting process to obtain life insurance coverage. This will require meeting with a doctor who will ask some additional health-related questions, and will also take from you a blood and a urine sample.
How Much Life Insurance Will Cost If You Have Bechterew’s Disease
The cost of your life insurance premium will vary, depending on the type of coverage that you have chosen to purchase, as well as the amount of benefit that you are applying for. Your age and your gender will also play a part in the premium cost.
Also, your health condition is a key criteria in the premium price, as it will be a determining factor in how your policy will be rated by the insurance underwriters. If other than your Bechterew’s Disease, you are in good health; then it is still possible that you could obtain a Standard policy rating. In this case, your policy premium could be in line with that of an otherwise average policy holder of your same age and gender.
However, if your health is not ideal, then you may be rated as a Substandard policyholder. Here, while you may still be able to obtain life insurance coverage, the premium will be higher than the average policyholder.
What If You Do Not Qualify for a Traditional Life Insurance Policy
For those who may not be able to qualify at all for a traditional, medically underwritten life insurance policy, there is still hope of obtaining coverage. One way to do so is through a no medical exam policy.
With the no exam plans you’ll have the opportunity to purchase a lower face value plan without going through the rigors of a standard life application. With no or little health questions to answer and no exam, you can be approved for a policy within days.
How and Where to Find the Best Life Insurance Premium Quotes with Bechterew’s Disease
If seeking life insurance with Bechterew’s Disease, then it is a good idea to work with either an agency or a company that has access to more than just one single life insurance carrier. That way, you will have multiple insurers to work with – and you will be more apt to find the carriers that will take on those who have various health issues.
Our agents are knowledgable on how to find the best rates for those who are considered high-risk by the life insurance industry. With access to over 10 carriers, let our team be the ones to guide you to the best plan for your budget and needs. Give us a call today at 888-229-7522!