When applying for life insurance, there may sometimes be certain obstacles to overcome – especially when you have various health related issues at hand.
This can make it somewhat frustrating, as it is important to obtain this essential coverage in order to ensure that those you care about are financially protected in case the unthinkable should occur.
For those who have encephalitis lethargica, it can be a challenge to find an insurer that will accept you for coverage. The good news is, however, it is certainly possible to qualify for traditionally underwritten life insurance if you have this particular condition – the key is working with a company that can point you in the right direction.
Encephalitis is considered to be a type of infection that occurs in a person’s brain. Because of this, it is a life-threatening condition – which is why certain life insurance carriers will tend to shy away from covering those who have been diagnosed with it.
The condition can – and does – affect people of any age. The primary symptoms include headache and fever – and, if left untreated, the condition can lead to confusion, seizures, behavioral changes, an altered state of consciousness, and other neurologic signs such as apraxia, ataxia, and involuntary movements.
Encephalitis can also include an infection of the brain’s parenchyma, the spinal cord, the meninges, and even the nerves. Those who have more advanced cases of the condition may oftentimes show symptoms such as agitation, hallucinations, and even psychotic tendencies.
There is actually a good chance of recovery, however, if the bacteria that is causing the infection can be detected. This can be done via various types of lab and diagnostic procedures such as a cerebrospinal fluid exam and culture.
What the Life Insurance Underwriters Will Need to Know
Since the underwriter knows you’re dealing with a medical issue they’re going to press you for further details about your situation, how you got to where you are, and what you and your doctors will do about it going forward.
Some of the questions you can expect to be asked during the underwriting process will typically include the following:
- When were you initially diagnosed with Encephalitis Lethargica? One of the first things that the underwriters will need to know is when you were initially diagnosed with your condition. If, for instance, the incident occurred more than a year ago – and provided that you have had no long-term complications that have stemmed from it – then it is possible that you could qualify for a policy with a Standard rating. However, if you have continued to have cognitive or other related symptoms, it is possible that you may not qualify for life insurance coverage.
- Over the past 6 to 12 months, have you experienced any type of symptoms? It is also necessary for the underwriters to know if you have experienced any type of related symptoms over the past 6 to 12 months. These would include symptoms such as a severe headache (usually one that is accompanied by agitation, hallucinations, or other types of psychological tendencies), and/or a high-grade fever. If so, it may be necessary to wait in applying for life insurance coverage.
- What, if any, type of medication are you currently taking in order to control behaviors such as anxiety, agitation, and/or mental issues that may be associated with your condition? It is necessary that the underwriters know what, if any, medications you have been prescribed for your condition. This may help in controlling your episodes.
- Over the past 12 months, have you had any type of relevant diagnostic or lab tests performed? The underwriters will need to know if you have had any type of brain examination testing performed over the past year such as a CT scan, an MRI, a CSF culture, a Lumbar Puncture test, or another related exam. These tests are used in determining the severity of any infection and can be used by the underwriters in arriving at an appropriate life insurance policy rating classification and premium amount.
- Do you have any other health conditions that could have an effect on your Encephalitis? The underwriters will also need to know if you have any other type of health conditions – especially those that are related – that could have an effect on your encephalitis. For example, conditions such as frequent headaches – especially those that are severe in nature – as well as seizures and/or uncontrolled behavioral problems could be a negative sign in the underwriting process. If so, however, you may also simply be required to undergo a more thorough medical evaluation so that the insurance underwriters can establish a more clear understanding of your overall health condition.
In addition to the information that is specifically related to your condition, the life insurance company will also be reviewing the basic information that you will submit on your application for coverage. This includes details about your:
- Alcohol usage
- Marital status
- Usage of tobacco
- Travel habits
- Hobbies (i.e., whether you participate in risky or dangerous activities such as skydiving or scuba diving)
A medical exam will also likely be required where you will be asked to submit a blood and urine sample. These samples will be analyzed for certain types of additional health conditions that may cause you to be a larger risk to the carrier.
How Much Will Your Coverage Cost?
Once all of your information has been reviewed, the insurance company will determine whether they will issue you a policy. If so, it is likely that you will be rated as either a Standard or a Substandard.
Provided that you are in otherwise good health, a Standard rating is considered to be “average” in terms of health, height, and weight – and will therefore also pay an average amount of premium cost for a policy. A Substandard classification will still be insured, however, it will pose more of a risk, so will be required to pay a higher amount of premium to the insurer.
How to Obtain Life Insurance for People with Encephalitis Lethargica
In order to obtain the very best deal on life insurance for encephalitis lethargica, it is wise to work with a company that has access to more than just one insurer. In that case, we can help.
We work with many of the top-rated life insurance companies in the high risk life insurance industry. And our goal is to work for you, not that life insurance company. We always put clients first, and we do this with our emphasis on quote comparisons.
Give us a call today, 888-229-7522, and let our agents fit you into the best plan for your needs.