If you’ve been contemplating the idea of getting health insurance for your beloved dog or cat but don’t know where to start, you aren’t alone.
Maybe you’re just realizing that medical insurance exists for your four-legged companions.
Whether you’re a novice to pet insurance or you’re looking to swap providers, you’re in the right place.
Healthy Paws is one popular provider you’ll likely encounter in your research. This Healthy Paws insurance review can help you unpack all that the company has to offer, answering some key questions about their coverage.
Table of Contents:
- About Healthy Paws
- Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
- Healthy Paws Waiting Period
- Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost
- Pros & Cons
About Healthy Paws
Healthy Paws was born out of two friends’ love for animals. Steve Siadek was the Executive Director at a no-kill animal shelter when he met Rob Jackson, who had adopted and fostered dogs from the shelter.
They saw an opportunity to help pet owners with their veterinary expenses and to rescue animals with needed medical care, starting the Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Company & Foundation.
Today, Healthy Paws has grown into one of the nation’s best pet insurance companies, often on the cutting edge.
In fact, Healthy Paws simplified the claims process by creating the first iPhone app for pet insurance.
The foundation side of Healthy Paws has done some remarkable work as well, with the non-profit providing medical grants for animal shelter care and pet rescues.
Healthy Paws’ financial outlook is stable, thanks to its partnership with the $30 billion insurance broker AON Corporation. Their policies are underwritten by the Chubb Group, securing them an “A+” credit rating from A.M. Best.
In other words, you can count on Healthy Paws to meet its financial commitments to you, the policyholder.
There’s a strong consensus around Healthy Paws, and the company is consistently rated highly by leading review platforms.
Healthy Paws is also BBB-accredited and has been awarded an “A+” from the Better Business Bureau, furthering its legitimacy.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Healthy Paws offers one simple plan that covers new illnesses and accidents, including genetic conditions, injuries, cancer, emergency and alternative care.
Plans for dogs start at $20 and cat plans start as low as $15.
To get accepted for coverage, dogs under the age of 6 must have been to the vet in the last 12 months, while dogs older than 6 must have been to the vet in the last month. If your pet hasn’t been in that timeframe, you have 15 days to go once the policy is in-force.
Here’s a closer look at the coverage offered by Healthy Paws.
- Alternative treatments: Chiropractic, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy
- Blood tests
- Cancer: Cancer coverage is built into every policy and has no payout caps.
- Chronic conditions: This benefit also covers long term medication for the condition.
- Congenital or hereditary conditions
- Diagnostic treatment
- Emergency care: 24-hour clinics included
- Illnesses: Not including pre-existing conditions
- Prescription medications
- Specialty care
- Surgery: Medically required operations for qualifying illnesses or accidents.
- Ultrasounds and x-rays
What Isn’t Covered
- Anal gland expression
- Behavioral training
- Elective surgeries
- Exam fees
- Flea/heartworm prevention
- Pre-existing conditions, including cruciate ligament injuries
- Routine dental care
Healthy Paws Waiting Period
A waiting period simply puts the coverage of some conditions on hold for a designated period of time.
With the exception of Maryland and New Hampshire, who have their own standards on waiting times, you can expect the following waiting periods with Figo:
- Accidents and illnesses: 15 days
- Hip dysplasia: 12 months
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost
One of the most important factors in choosing the right pet insurance company is cost.
The more risk your cat or dog poses, the more you’ll pay for coverage, in general. That’s why Healthy Paws takes your pet’s age, gender, and breed into consideration.
They also use your location to set your rates, because some more populated areas of the country have steeper veterinary costs.
Healthy Paws offers one level of coverage with unlimited annual payouts. You can adjust the reimbursement amount and your deductible to get just the coverage and rates you need.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost for a Dog
Here are a few sample rates for a 4-year-old medium mixed-breed dog in D.C.:
- $59.37: 80% reimbursement, $250 deductible, no coverage cap
- $45.10: 70% reimbursement, $500 deductible, no coverage cap
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost for a Cat
Here are a few sample rates for a mixed-breed 4-year-old cat in D.C. would cost:
- $23.46: 80% reimbursement, $250 deductible, no coverage cap
- $17.80: 70% reimbursement, $500 deductible, no coverage cap
Pros and Cons
To recap, here are some of the very best, and worst, things about Healthy Paws pet insurance.
- Simplicity: Picking a policy with Healthy Paws is easy because there is only one type of plan.
- Unlimited Coverage: There are no caps on the amount of policy benefits you can receive in a given year, or by incident.
- Claims Filing: Filing with Healthy Paws is an easy app-based task, and customers are generally very satisfied with claims management.
- Hereditary Coverage: Many providers refuse care to animals with hereditary or congenital defects, while Healthy Paws is far more generous with approval.
- No Wellness Coverage: Healthy Paws does not offer coverage for routine care, leaving you to pay for everyday expenses.
- Enrollment Fee: Healthy Paws plans come with a $25 enrollment fee.
- Hip Dysplasia: This condition is not accepted in pets over the age of 6, which can be problematic for large dog breeds predisposed to it.
Alternatives to Healthy Paws
Healthy Paws is one of our top picks for pet health insurance, but it’s far from the only good option at your disposal.
To ensure you get great rates and the right policy for your pet’s needs, spend a little time comparison shopping.
We recommend starting with a few of the companies below:
Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for You?
Healthy Paws offers simple straightforward accident and illness coverage with annual deductibles at fairly competitive rates.
They’re also commonly praised for their excellent customer service and claims management.
As such, there’s a good chance you can find the coverage you’re looking for with the popular carrier.
Outline your pet’s coverage needs, consider your budget and deductible savings, and compare quotes from multiple carriers to decide if Healthy Paws pet insurance is for you.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
- A.M. Best: A+
- BBB: A+