Though you might not have heard of The Hartford Car Insurance Company, the company has been providing auto insurance premiums to Americans for 200 years.
And chances are you’re familiar with The Hartford’s partner, AARP and their AARP Auto Insurance Program.
While The Hartford provides solid car insurance coverage and customer satisfaction to some applicants who aren’t members, it is most beneficial to AARP members, providing unique membership-based perks.
Read on to learn how The Hartford stacks up to other popular auto insurance companies, like Geico and Allstate, in terms of insurance rates, features, discounts, customer experience, and even insurance claims.
Table of Contents:
- About The Hartford
- Auto Insurance Coverage Options
- How To Get A Quote
- Customer Support
- Pros and Cons
- Alternatives to The Hartford
The Hartford Insurance
The Hartford got its start in 1810 as a fire insurance company, seeing America through some major milestones and even insuring President Lincoln’s home.
By the turn of the century, it began to expand its services, insuring its first vehicles in 1913. Today, The Hartford sells homeowners insurance, auto policies (including classic car coverage), and renters insurance, business loans, also partnering with companies to offer employee benefits.
In 1984, The Hartford became the official home of all of AARP’s auto and home insurance products.
The Hartford is committed to faithfully serving its clients, employees, and the global community, repeatedly ranking as the Ethisphere Institute’s World’s Most Ethical Company.
While The Hartford’s history is important, it’s even more crucial to look at the company’s future, namely its financial strength rating.
The Hartford has secured high ratings from the main financial rating agencies, which means they’re highly capable of keeping their financial commitments to policyholders and investors. Bottom line, they are a very financially secure company.
Take a look at the ratings below:
- AM Best: A+
- Standard and Poor’s: A+
- Moody’s: A1
J.D. Power is another useful metric, highlighting customers’ satisfaction with a company.
The Hartford received a 3 out of 5, indicating it is in the middle of the pack when it comes to claims satisfaction and customer relationships.
However, the 2019 U.S. Auto Insurance study also found The Hartford to be the highest ranked insurer for the Midwest.
The company also holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, adding to its strength.
Auto Insurance Policies from The Hartford
Hartford offers the basic car insurance coverage required by most states, as well as several additional forms of coverage you might find beneficial, with competitive car insurance rates.
Here’s an overview of each of the types of coverage you can get from The Hartford:
- Bodily injury: If you’re liable or have a fault accident that injured the other driver or their passengers, this coverage pays for their medical bills and lost wages.
- Property damage: If you’re the responsible party in a car accident that damages someone’s personal property, this coverage can help pay to repair or replace it.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: If the other driver is at fault and doesn’t have ample coverage for medical expenses and property damage, this insurance has you covered.
- Comprehensive: If an animal, weather event, fire, or vandalism leaves your car damaged, comprehensive coverage helps foot the bill, once you pay a deductible.
- Collision: Whether you’re to blame or not, collision coverage helps pay to repair your car if you hit another car or an object, once you pay your collision deductible.
- Personal injury/medical payments: This coverage can pay for medical expenses if you or your passengers are injured.
- Glass coverage: If your windshield is damaged, this additional coverage can pay for the repair shop costs without requiring a deductible.
- New car replacement: Unlike many carriers, The Hartford will replace your new vehicle with the same one if you total it before reaching 15,000 miles or 15 months of ownership.
In addition to its traditional coverage, The Hartford has a few standout features:
- Lifetime renewability: In most states, The Hartford guarantees drivers they can always renew their policy, as long as they make their payments, keep their driver’s license valid, and don’t get a DUI.
- 1-year rate lock: While your premiums are subject to increase after 6 months with most carriers, the rate you get from The Hartford is locked in for one year–rate protection.
- RecoverCare: Unique to The Hartford, this feature pays for household tasks if you’re rendered unable to complete them due to an accident.
- Roadside Assistance: This is an add on that will protect you on the road should you need it. This also covers your rental car fee should you need it while your car is being repaired.
How to Get a Quote
You can get online car insurance quotes from The Hartford in minutes. All you have to do is supply a few basic details.
For instance, you’ll need to list your:
- Name, DOB, marital status
- Education and career
- Address and home status (renting vs. owning)
- Recent driving history
- Current insurance situation
- Car information
From there, The Hartford will offer discounts and a rate for coverage. If you aren’t eligible for one of its policies, the quote page will point you to other carriers better suited for your needs.
The Hartford Discounts
The Hartford offers a handful of discounts, especially advantageous for AARP members. Here’s a breakdown:
- Multi-policy: If you bundle home and auto with The Hartford, you can save.
- Defensive driving: Also if you maintain a clean driving record, they will lower your collision deductible incrementally each year until it hits zero.
- Good Student: if you have a student that maintains a good grade average, you can cash in on a rate discount.
- Driver Training: If you enroll in a driver course or take defensive driving, you are eligible for another discount.
- Air bags: The Hartford credits drivers who have a driver’s side airbag, with even more discounts for the full front seat.
- Green savings: If you drive an electric car or a hybrid, The Hartford will honor your choice with a discount.
- AdvantagePlus: If you opt for this special plan, you could get first accident forgiveness, a disappearing deductible, emergency expense coverage, and more.
- Security: If you have an alarm or other anti-theft devices, you could be rewarded with a discount.
Customer Service and Support
The Hartford is hailed among car insurance providers for offering claims services around the clock.
Hartford’s insurance agents can be reached 24/7 via the mobile app, phone number, website, or email.
They also provide tracking once your claim has been filed so you can follow its progress on the website and app.
While you can manage your policy online for yourself, The Hartford understands some people prefer more human interaction. You can easily be connected with a local agent from The Hartford’s website.
The Hartford is seriously committed to keeping you and your information safe.
They’ve even developed a Cyber Choice First Response Policy to provide resources and protection to help keep businesses safe online.
Pros and Cons of The Hartford
The Hartford is an ideal fit for some people, but not all. Consider the pros and cons before you purchase a policy:
- Member benefits: If you’re an AARP member, you’ll get great savings and bonus features with The Hartford.
- 24/7 access: You can reach a representative whenever you need assistance, which isn’t true of all insurance companies.
- Bundling: With multiple lines of insurance, you can bundle policies to tap into savings with The Hartford.
- Negative customer reviews: The Hartford has a high number of negative customer reviews compared to many of its competitors.
- Limitations for non-AARP members: If you aren’t an AARP member, you might not be able to get a policy. Regardless, you’re better off finding low rates elsewhere.
Alternatives to The Hartford
Whether you’re a non-AARP member looking for lower rates or you just want to explore all your options, there are plenty of other great providers.
Be sure to consider the alternatives to The Hartford below:
- Progressive: For an expansive array of discounts and access to more than 30 types of insurance, get a quote from Progressive.
- Esurance: For an effortless buying experience, easy account management, and great online resources, take a look at Esurance.
- State Farm: For a personalized experience with an agent and ample coverage and discounts to choose from, State Farm is worth a look.
AARP Members Should Consider The Hartford
The Hartford is the perfect fit for AARP members who need car insurance, but not so much for everyone else.
If you’re an older applicant with a great driving record, The Hartford could be an affordable option.
Otherwise, you might benefit most by buying a policy from one of the alternative companies above.
Whatever you do, be sure to take time to research all of your options so you can make an informed decision and save on premiums.