Esurance Auto Insurance
- A.M. Best: A+
- BBB: A-
Esurance is the tech-savvy car insurance applicant’s best friend.
With a state-of-the-art app and a streamlined website, Esurance takes the headache out of buying car insurance and filing claims.
Backed by industry-giant Allstate, it’s also a name you can depend on. But how do Esurance’s policies, discounts, and premiums compare?
Read on to decide whether or not Esurance is worth your consideration for car insurance.
Table of Contents:
- About Esurance
- Esurance Policy Options
- How to Get a Quote
- Esurance Discounts
- Customer Service and Support
- Pros & Cons
- Alternatives to Esurance
Esurance began its endeavor of selling car insurance in 1999, and it’s built quite the name for itself over the last two decades.
Innovative from the get-go, Esurance was one of the first companies to sell insurance policies online.
Today, Esurance continues to focus on using technology to make buying insurance as easy as possible.
Who owns Esurance?
Esurance is a subsidiary of Allstate, and the company employs more than 3,000 employees who operate from 17 regional offices.
Esurance has 1.5 million policies in force today, a number that continues to climb.
You can buy coverage from Esurance in 43 states, with some also offering motorcycle, homeowners, and renters insurance.
The numbers above are impressive for a considerably young company. It’s important to pair them with ratings from outside sources.
Credit ratings are a great way to assess a company’s financial strength and ability to meet its financial obligations.
Rating agencies give Esurance their highest scores possible, indicating the company is well-equipped and highly likely to pay out its claims as promised:
- A.M. Best: Esurance has an “A+” rating from A.M. Best, the leading credit rating agency, and its parent company has top-notch ratings as well.
- J.D. Power: It also received above average ratings from J.D. Power, ranking as #1 for customer satisfaction in California, and above average ratings across the country.
- BBB: Esurance also touts an “A-” rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Esurance Policy Options
Esurance offers several forms of car insurance. Let’s take a closer look at each:
- Collision coverage: This standard protection covers your car in instances where you collide with another car or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive coverage pays for non-traffic related accidents, like your car being stolen, a tree falling on it, damage from a fire, or damage from an animal.
- Liability coverage: The most basic coverage, liability insurance takes care of the other driver’s medical expenses, loss of income, and damages when you are responsible for the accident.
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage: This coverage is designed to help you if the person who is responsible for the incident does not have significant coverage in place.
- Rental car coverage: This portion of your policy can reimburse you for the use of a rental car while your car is being worked on or is otherwise unavailable after the accident.
- Medical payments coverage: As the name implies, it covers the medical bills of both the driver and passengers, regardless of which driver was at fault.
- Emergency roadside coverage: This coverage is there to help when you are stranded, protecting you when you run out of gas, get a flat tire, have a dead battery, or break down.
- Bodily injury coverage: This coverage is designated for the medical bills for the other driver when you are at fault in an accident.
- Property damage liability coverage: When you are the at-fault driver, this feature covers damage done to another person’s property.
- Personal injury protection coverage: This amount covers your personal medical bills regardless of who was at fault.
- Loan/lease gap coverage: This coverage helps you pay the loan or lease for your car if it is totaled and you owe more than it is worth.
In addition to car insurance, you can purchase a variety of other insurance products from Esurance, including:
- Home and property insurance
- Mexican auto insurance
- Life insurance
- Health insurance
- Pet insurance
- Travel insurance
- Flood insurance
- And more
How to Get a Quote with Esurance
With the Coverage Counselor tool, getting quotes and subsequent coverage is effortless.
While most quoting tools simply walk you through a form to input your personal information, Esurance actually counsels you.
Based on your answers, it provides you with advice on what types and amounts of coverage you might want to consider.
After assessing your basic coverage needs, Esurance collects some basic information about you and your vehicle and gives you instant quotes.
It’s as simple as that.
Esurance provides policyholders with plenty of ways to save. Here is a list of the policy-based discounts offered by Esurance:
- Fast 5 Discount: When you get quotes and apply online, you can save 5% on your first round of premiums.
- Multi-policy Discount: Bundling multiple insurance policies from Esurance can get you a discount, with varying rates based on the policies.
- Multi-car Discount: You can also get a discount just for insuring multiple vehicles with Esurance.
- Claim Free Discount: If you make it 5 years without filing a claim, or you insure a driver with at least 5 years experience behind the wheel, you could be eligible for 10-25% off.
- Homeowners Discount: Esurance credits you just for being a homeowner, regardless of your home insurance status.
- Paid in Full Discount: If you pay the total amount due in premiums upfront, you could save 10% more than paying monthly.
- Emergency Road Assistance Discount: Get roadside assistance from an outside provider, like AAA, and you could save 5% on coverage.
- Good Driver Discount: If you have your license for at least three years and a max of one point on your record, you could get 30-40% knocked off your premiums.
- DriveSense Discount: DriveSense tracks your habits behind the wheel to build a custom rate. You’ll get a discount just for signing up, and further savings for driving carefully.
- Good Student Discount: Keep a “B” average, and you could earn up to a 10% discount, lasting until age 25.
- Defensive Driver Discount: If you’re 50 or older (in most states) and take a defensive driving course of your own volition, you could get up to 10% savings.
- Driver Training Discount: To get this discount, all of the insured drivers of your vehicle need to undergo drivers ed courses if they’re younger than 21.
- Safety Device Discount: Airbags, seat belts, and other safety features in your car can add up to discounts.
- Anti-theft Discount: Alarms or systems like Onstar could save you 25% on comprehensive coverage.
Customer Service and Support
Esurance is good at keeping an open line of communication with its policyholders.
You can reach representatives online, over the phone, via email, or on social media.The company’s hotline is open for business every day, including weekends, from 6am to 12am CT.
Esurance doesn’t provide much information on its security measures, but judging by its reputation in the industry and consumer reports, you can count on them to handle your information responsibly.
Their Sectigo web certificate is another measure that guarantees information entered on the site is secure.
With the backing of Allstate, you can trust the company even more.
Pros and Cons of Esurance
There’s plenty to like about Esurance, but there are also a few drawbacks you should consider.
- Online resources: Esurance provides the best online experience of any provider, simplifying car insurance in an incredible way.
- Easy account management: On that note, you can easily manage your policy details on the site once coverage is in force.
- Coverage availability: Esurance is available in most of the United States, with policies to meet diverse needs..
- Above-average premiums: Esurance isn’t the cheapest provider on the market. You may find lower rates by looking elsewhere.
- Limited customer service: Esurance does not offer 24/7 access to representatives or agents, which some of its competitors do.
Alternatives to Esurance
Esurance is far from the only provider worth considering. You may want to take a few moments to learn more about the companies below:
- GEICO: GEICO offers a great online experience similar to Esurance, but it often comes with lower rates and more opportunities to save.
- Progressive: To get access to the most discounts, you may want to consider Progressive, another competitively priced option.
- State Farm: If you want a well-known carrier like Esurance but crave more agent availability, State Farm is the perfect fit.
Esurance Makes Car Insurance Simple
If your main goal is to buy car insurance quickly and easily online with minimal interaction with people, Esurance is made for you.
With an intuitive quoting and buying process, helpful online resources, and the backing of Allstate, you’re in good hands with Esurance.
Their policies, discounts, and claim-filing are solid, too. Take a few moments to compare quotes today to see if you could save more with Esurance or another provider.