With dozens of pet insurance companies to choose from, it can be challenging to know where to begin.
As you compare companies, it’s important to evaluate their coverage, claims filing, and customer satisfaction.
Topping our list of the best pet insurance companies is Embrace.
In the review below, we’ve highlighted the key features of Embrace’s pet plans to show you how it stands out among the competition.
Table of Contents:
- About Embrace Pet Insurance
- Embrace Pet Insurance Coverage
- Waiting Period
- Sample Quotes
- Pros & Cons
- Alternatives to Embrace Pet Insurance
Embrace Pet Insurance
Embrace has been in business since 2003, originating as that year’s winner of the Wharton Business Plan Competition.
Today, Embrace has paid out more than $47 million dollars in claims, growing into a sizable pet insurance company.
With an “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau and BBB accreditation, it’s also a name you can depend on. Embrace’s policies are underwritten by American Modern Insurance Group, which touts an “A+” from A.M. Best, the premier credit rating agency.
That rating means Embrace and its parent company is in excellent financial shape and fully capable of paying out claims, now and in the future.
Over the last two decades, Embrace has been hailed for its excellent workplace environment and commitment to community service.
They’ve also continued to innovate their pet insurance offerings to clients, recently rolling out an app to streamline the user experience for policyholders.
Embrace Pet Insurance Coverage
Embrace has one comprehensive pet insurance plan for dogs and cats, with varying levels of coverage depending on how much you’re willing to pay.
- Accidents: Accidental coverage includes both consultation and exam fees.
- Illness: Embrace’s basic illness coverage extends to hereditary or genetic conditions.
- Dental illness: You can also get up tp to $1,000 a year in all states but New York for dental care.
- Cancer: Embrace’s cancer coverage is robust, including all related treatments and tests.
- Chronic conditions: There are no limits to coverage or denials to renew coverage once the pet is approved.
- Wellness Rewards: You can also add the wellness rewards feature, which is a flexible routine care plan that provides some reimbursement for preventative and wellness expenses.
- Alternative treatments: Acupuncture physical therapy, chiropractics, etc.
- Behavioral therapy: Includes therapy for conditions like aggression and marking
- Diagnostic testing: Includes all testing for any of the covered conditions above
- Emergency care: After-hour treatment included from any provider
- Hospitalization/operations: Includes technicians’ time, recovery, and more
- Mobility devices: Includes prosthetics themselves, wheelchairs, etc, and associated surgeries and appointments
- Prescriptions: All medications for covered conditions, excluding pets in New York
As inclusive and comprehensive as Embrace’s coverage is, it does come with some exclusions.
- Pre-existing conditions*
- Injury from abuse or neglect
- Routine Care
- Cosmetic Procedures
*A pre-existing condition is one that is either incurable or warrants treatment, present before the waiting period is up.
Embrace Pet Insurance Waiting Period
Like most pet insurance companies, Embrace has a standard waiting period for all new pets enrolling in a plan.
Since pet plans are designed to shield you from unexpected expenses, they don’t apply to conditions that your pet already suffers from.
The waiting period ensures your pet is healthy when you take out the policy.
Here’s what Embrace’s waiting period looks like:
- Accidents: 48 hours
- Illnesses: 14 days
- Orthopedic conditions in dogs: 6 months, or 14 days with an eligible exam and waiver
Embrace Pet Insurance Discounts
Embrace provides you with several ways to save on coverage:
- Healthy Pet Deductible: Every year you go without filing an accident or illness claim, you’ll get $50 off your deductible.
- Multi-policy discount: If you insure more than one pet, you could get a 10% discount, or a 5% discount if you live in Rhode Island or New York.
- Military discount: Embrace offers 5% off to all military members outside of Florida, New York, and Tennessee.
- Employee discount: Some employers offer voluntary enrollment in Embrace pet policies, which comes with up to a 10% discount.
- State discounts: New York and Rhode Island offer 5% discounts for annual payments and spaying and neutering.
You can stack discounts from the list above, getting up to 25% off of coverage.
Embrace Pet Insurance Quotes
What you pay for coverage from Embrace or any other pet provider depends on a number of factors such as:
- Age of your pet
- Type of coverage
- Reimbursement amount
- Annual limits
To put things in perspective, here are a few sample quotes for a 3-year-old male labrador retriever in South Carolina, with a $10,000 reimbursement limit:
While the average Embrace dog policy falls into the $30-40 range, their cat plans average $15-20 a month.
Pros and Cons
There are several advantages, as well as a few potential drawbacks to purchasing coverage from Embrace Pet Insurance.
- Simple Coverage: While you can add supplementary wellness coverage, Embrace only offers one straightforward policy.
- Emergency Care: Embrace covers all the expenses you might encounter in a medical pet emergency, with access to any vets at any time.
- Discounts: Embrace’s policies are affordable to begin with, made even better with their lineup of ways to save.
- Hereditary Conditions: If your pet is five or younger and symptom-free, they can still get covered with inherited illnesses, while they might be denied elsewhere.
- Waiting Period: Both accidents and illnesses are subject to a waiting period with Embrace.
- Enrollment Fee: Though minor, Embrace does come with a $25 enrollment fee.
- Age Limits: You can’t enroll a pet over the age of 14, though those already covered will not be dropped based on their age.
Alternatives to Embrace Pet Insurance
While Embrace is an exceptional choice for pet insurance, it may not be the best provider for you.
When you buy insurance for people, pets, or belongings, it’s crucial to shop around to get the best rates and the coverage you need.
Here are a few alternatives to Embrace you might want to consider:
Is Embrace Pet Insurance for You?
If you’re looking for a pet plan that encompasses just about every expense possible for accidents and illnesses, Embrace could be the company for you.
With exceptional benefits, low costs, and customizable coverage, the top-ranked provider has a lot to offer.
Whether or not it’s the right company for you and your four-legged companion depends on their age, health, and what you’re looking to get out of the policy.
To make the call, take a few moments to compare quotes from Embrace and other top companies.
Embrace Pet Insurance
- A.M. Best: A+
- BBB: A+