Qualifying for life insurance can sometimes be a challenge. This is especially the case if you have any type of major health condition – or a related issue, such as a pacemaker due to heart trouble in the past.
If you have been declined for life insurance in the past, you may have felt like you have no hope of getting coverage in the future. The good news is, though, there are still ways to get it – and we can help you to do so. Oftentimes, getting the coverage that you need just entails knowing where to look.
What the Insurance Company will Want to Know
When applying for life insurance with a pacemaker, the underwriters will want to know more in-depth details regarding your health condition – and especially about your pacemaker. Some of the questions that you will most likely be asked will include the following:
- When did you initially have your pacemaker installed? When reviewing your application for life insurance coverage, it is important that your body is used to your pacemaker and that everything is running smoothly. Therefore, if you have had your pacemaker for at least three months, then there is a good chance that – provided you have a normal heart rate and rhythm – you can qualify for coverage. It will also be important that during your surgery for implanting the pacemaker there were no complications. If you have not yet had your pacemaker for three months, it may be necessary to wait until at least that amount of time has elapsed until you will qualify for life insurance coverage.
- Over the past three months, have you experienced any chest pains? If, throughout the past three months, you have experienced any chest pains, it is possible that these pains could be due to the pacemaker. If this is the case, it may be seen as a negative – and there is a chance that your policy could be declined, or that your policy would be accepted, but at a Substandard rating.
- Do you regularly schedule check-ups with your cardiologist? If you have regularly scheduled check-ups with your cardiologist, this will be viewed by the life insurance underwriters as a positive in that you are taking more control of your health and that you are also monitoring and managing your pacemaker. Doing this can help in obtaining a better life insurance policy rating.
- Do you currently take any type of medication due to your condition? If so, would any of your current medications cause SA Node dysfunction? The life insurance underwriters will want to know if you are taking any type of medication due to your condition, and if so, what type. If will be especially important to establish whether or not you still have any type of an abnormal heart function. The types of medication that may cause SA Node dysfunction include Digitalis and beta blockers.
- Do you currently have any other type of health condition or conditions that could have an effect on the function of your SA Note impulses? It is important to also let the underwriters know if you have any other medical conditions. Certain conditions such as hyperkalemia, myocardial infarction, or systemic lupus erythematosus could cause damage to your heart, which could also lead to a substandard life insurance policy rating. Depending on the severity of the condition, it may lead to a decline.
In addition to this information, the life insurance underwriters will also review other information on your application such as your age, gender, height, weight, smoking habits, tobacco usage, marital status, occupation and income, hobbies, and overall health history.
You will also be required to take a medical exam. This will entail the submission of a blood and urine sample. These samples will be analyzed for certain other health conditions that could be considered risks to the insurance company in terms of potential claims.
When all of your information has been received, the underwriters can then make a final determination regarding whether or not to issue coverage to you and if so, what premium rate to charge.
Taking the Next Step to Purchasing Life Insurance with a Pacemaker
If you or someone that you know has a pacemaker and is ready to purchase life insurance, InsureNow 365 can help to make the process easy. We work with many of the best life insurance companies in the nation, and we can help you to narrow down the companies that will work best for you and your particular situation. We understand that you may not qualify for coverage with all life insurers, so we can help you to move towards the ones that specialize in working only with higher risk applicants – in turn, saving you a great deal of time along the way.
We can also help you to do all of this from the comfort and convenience of your home computer – without ever having to meet in person with a life insurance agent. In just minutes you can compare policy benefits, and premium quotes. In order to get the process started, just fill out the form on this page.
If you should have any questions or concerns regarding how to obtain life insurance with a pacemaker, how to compare life insurance quotes, or even just about life insurance in general, we’re here to help. Please feel free to give our experts a call, toll-free at 888-229-7522 and we’ll make sure that you’re on your way to obtaining the life insurance coverage that’s best for you and those you love.