For those who suffer from gastritis, it is likely that you have been turned down for life insurance in the past. But don’t let that stop you now, there are new carriers in the marketplace that could be a fit for you.
Gastritis involves having swelling or inflammation of one’s stomach lining. This may be caused due to a number of different factors such as pain medications or alcohol, as well as complications from a surgical procedure. There are also autoimmune conditions that may cause this disease.
When one has gastritis, they will typically have symptoms such as a burning, aching, or sharp pain in the stomach, as well as feelings such as bloating, upset stomach, nausea, and / or indigestion. In some cases, the condition may also cause vomiting. The pain typically centers in the upper left portion of the person’s abdomen.
What the Life Insurance Underwriters Will Want to Know
Below we’ve listed some questions that the underwriter will probably ask you once they know about your Gastritis.
- When were you initially diagnosed with gastritis? If it is detected early enough, gastritis can be managed, or even prevented. If it is not managed, however, this condition can get progressively worse and can lead to some very serious complications. If an individual ends up with chronic gastritis, he or she may qualify for a Mild Substandard rating on their life insurance policy, provided that they do not possess any serious complications of the condition.
- Within the past 6 months, have you experienced any symptoms of gastritis? If, over the past 6 months, you have experienced symptoms such as severe pain, bloating, diarrhea, or indigestion, it could be a sign of an active inflammation. This could require additional evaluation before a decision may be made regarding your life insurance policy.
- Has a doctor requested you go through any labs or tests in the last twelve months?
- Do you visit your gastroenterologist regularly for check-ups? If you visit your gastroenterologist on a regular basis, this is a good sign that you are attempting to manage and control your condition. Barring any complications of your condition, this could help you to obtain a Standard policy rating.
- In addition to your gastritis, do you have any other health conditions? In addition to your gastritis, other health conditions can have an effect on the approval, as well as on the premium and rating of your life insurance policy. Also, certain lifestyle practices and food intake may have an effect. For example, if you lead a high-stress lifestyle, it could negatively affect your gastritis, leading to complications of the conditions. Likewise, consuming high amounts of alcohol and/or coffee could also affect your condition negatively – which, in turn, can affect the rating that you receive on your life insurance policy.
- Is there a history of gastric cancer in your family? Having a history of gastric cancer will also play a role in how the life insurance underwriters view your application. Here again, though, barring any other complications, if you have no family history of the disease, it is probable that you could qualify for a Standard policy rating and premium.
Likewise, basic factors such as age, gender, height and weight, smoking status, occupation, and whether or not you engage in hobbies that are considered to be risky or dangerous will also be considered.
How to Improve the Chance of Life Insurance Approval with Gastritis
Prior to purchasing life insurance coverage, be aware that the one advantage you’ll always have is to compare quotes from more than one carrier. While it’s important to make a decision soon, don’t rush it.
Our agency is happy to address the questions and concerns that you may have to get you and your family the protection you need. We pride ourselves on working for the client, not the carrier. Let us put together comparisons of plans and rates so that your financials are secured sooner rather than later.