Applying for life insurance when you have any type of adverse health condition can make the process somewhat more difficult. Depending on the severity of the condition, your application may be rated as substandard – meaning that you are required to pay a higher amount of premium for your coverage – or you could be denied for coverage altogether.
While migraine headaches don’t pose a life threatening condition, they oftentimes require that you take certain medications that can affect your heart rate. Frequent headache symptoms – especially those that are severe – could also be an indication of other more serious health conditions.
In most cases, those who get migraine headaches will typically qualify for traditional life insurance coverage. Usually, however, the life insurance company will require that the applicant take a medical exam prior to getting approval, unless you have chosen to go with a no medical exam life insurance policy. If you have questions about such things as life insurance for diabetics, we have the answers you are looking for.
Life insurance is one of the biggest investments that you can make for your family, and migraines shouldn’t keep you from getting a policy. In most cases, this condition is going to prevent you from getting an affordable plan, but there are several things that you can do to improve your chances and get the lowest rates possible.
What the Life Insurance Underwriters Want to Know
When applying for coverage, the underwriters will also want to know more in-depth information about your migraine headaches. This will help them to make a more accurate determination regarding what type of a risk you are to the insurer.
Some of the more common questions you may be asked can include:
- How long has it been since you were initially diagnosed with migraine headaches? If you have just recently been diagnosed with migraines, it may be more difficult to qualify for a Standard life insurance policy. This is because not enough time has elapsed in order to rule out other health conditions that may be causing your headaches. In addition, the longer you have had your migraines, the more information you will have regarding what triggers an attack, as well as what you can do to both control and manage your headaches.
- How often do you experience a migraine headache? More frequent migraine headaches can be a sign of other symptoms such as photophobia or phonophobia. These require additional evaluation before an insurer can offer you either a Standard or a Substandard life insurance policy rating.
- How are you managing or controlling your migraines? The underwriters will also want to know how you are controlling your migraines. For example, are you able to help reduce the number of attacks by avoiding certain foods, by performing certain exercises, or through alternative methods such as chiropractic and massage?
- What type of medication, if any, have you been prescribed for controlling your migraine headaches? Medications such as NSAIDs and analgesics can help with controlling the symptoms of migraine headaches. Taking too much medication, however, can cause you additional harm.
- What type, if any, diagnostic tests have you had performed regarding your migraine headaches over the past 12 months? Various lab and diagnostic testing such as x-rays and MRIs can help in eliminating the possibility that your migraine headaches are associated with other issues such as glaucoma or meningitis.
- Do you know what are the major triggers that will cause you to have a migraine headache? Knowing what triggers your migraine headache attacks can help you to prevent flare ups – and could even help you in qualifying for a better life insurance policy rating.
In addition to your migraine headaches, there are other factors that the insurance underwriters will consider as well when determining whether or not to accept your application for coverage, and if so, how to rate your policy. These criteria include your:
- Family health history
- Smoking status
- Other health related conditions
All of these factors are going to play a major role in your chances of being approved for coverage, and will determine how much you pay for your policy. There are several factors that you can’t change like your age or family history, but there are some that you can improve which can save you money on your life insurance.
The best way to do that is improving your health through diet, exercise, and quitting smoking. All of these are going to improve your overall health as well as save you hundreds of dollars on your insurance coverage.
The Premium You Will Pay
If you are approved as at a Standard policy rating, this means that you will pay the same premium rates as those policyholders who are of average health, height, and weight. If, however, the underwriters rate your policy as a Substandard, it is likely that you will be required to pay a higher than average premium rate.
If you are initially accepted at a Substandard rate, it is possible that if your migraine headaches become more controlled in the future, you could have your policy re-rated at a later date as a Standard policy with Standard premium rates. It’s important to get the most affordable policy for your life insurance coverage.
How to Obtain Life Insurance with Migraines
If you are ready to take the next step towards obtaining life insurance with migraines, it is best to work with an entity that has access to several highly rated life insurance companies. We work with a number of the top life insurers in the marketplace, and we can guide you to the companies that are most likely to accept applicants who suffer from migraine headaches.
Unlike traditional insurance agents, our agents represent dozens of the most highly rated companies across the United States, which means we can help you get the lowest rates in a matter of minutes. Working with our agents will not only save you time, but it will save you money as well. Independent agents are the best way to search for the best life insurance policy to fit your needs.
In order to compare quotes from several of the top life insurers, you can begin by filling out the quote form on this page. In addition, should you have any additional questions or concerns about your quotes, the application process, or life insurance coverage in general, please feel free to contact us at 888-229-7522 and we’ll be happy to help.
It’s our goal to ensure that you’re getting the best policy for your family. Not having life insurance is one of the worst things that you can do for your family. Don’t want any longer to get the protection that they deserve.