For those who have been diagnosed with Cushing’s Syndrome, obtaining life insurance can take some research in order to find a company that will accept a higher risk – especially if you’ve had certain complications due to your condition.
There is good news, though. We can help you with this process, as we work with many of the top insurance carriers in the industry today.
We can also help you to be prepared for what the insurers will want to know. Being better prepared on your application for coverage can also help to improve your chances of approval.
Life Insurance With Cushings Disease
This will help them to determine whether you will be an acceptable risk as an insured.
Some of the questions that you will be asked may include the following:
- When were you initially diagnosed with your condition? Because Cushing’s Syndrome is a manageable and controllable condition, when you were initially diagnosed is important. Those who have had this condition for a prolonged period of time, however, and have not managed it well, do have an increased probability of serious complications to the liver, lungs, or heart.
- Has your physician referred you for any type of surgery due to your condition? Those who have Cushing’s Syndrome may be more prone to tumors showing up in the pituitary or the adrenal glands. If you’ve undergone surgery for such a tumor and more than one year has passed, it is possible that you could qualify for a Standard rating on a life insurance policy – as long as your overall health is otherwise good.
- What, if any, medication have you been prescribed for your condition? And, do you take any other medications for other health conditions? Depending on the medications that you are taking (if any), it could count as either a positive or a negative on your life insurance application. This is because certain medications have various side effects. Some of these can be therapeutic, while others can be potentially harmful to other areas of the body.
- Do you regularly visit your doctor due to your condition? Regular visits to your doctor – particularly to an endocrinologist – is extremely important so that any potential complications of your Cushing’s Syndrome may be averted or delayed. In doing so, you could obtain a Standard or a Mild Substandard policy rating, depending on your overall health condition.
- What, if any, related diagnostic testing have you had performed over the past 12 months and what were the results? One of the best ways of determining your condition with Cushing’s Syndrome is to test your level of cortical through your blood. Other tests may include urine testing and/or an MRI.
- Have you ever been hospitalized due to your condition? Being hospitalized – as well as being rushed to the emergency room – due to your Cushing’s Syndrome can also play a factor in the underwriter’s decision regarding your life insurance coverage.
- Do you have any other health concerns? If you have any other health condition (or conditions) such as diabetes or kidney issues, you will need to list them on your application.
The main part of the life insurance application is the medical exam that is required for most policies.
Once all of your information has been reviewed, the underwriters will be able to determine your eligibility for coverage, as well as where you will fall in terms of the premium rate to be charged.
If you’re in poor health or you have several pre-existing conditions, then there is a chance that you could get declined for coverage.
If you’ve been declined for coverage in the past, don’t automatically assume that you can’t get life insurance. One of the best ways to get protection is to purchase a no medical exam plan.
As you can guess from the name, these plans are going to give you life insurance without having to go through the medical record.
These plans will cost you more per month than traditional types of coverage. The reason being is that there will still be some unknown about the full picture of your health.
Another possible disadvantage to these plans is that there is going to be a limit on how much coverage that you can purchase without being required to take a medical exam.
Applying for Life Insurance Coverage with Cushing’s Syndrome
If you are ready to apply for life insurance with Cushing’s Syndrome, let us help. We work with numerous life insurance carriers who specialize in helping people with illnesses, and our expertise will come handy when you need to find the specific carrier that fits your needs.
It’s our mission to ensure that you get the best coverage to meet your family’s needs. We are independent insurance agents and we can help you compare dozens of quotes all at once.
Unlike traditional agents, we don’t only work with one single company. Our agents can help you save both time and money on your life policy.