Ensuring that those you love are protected financially in the event of the unthinkable is important. Yet, for those who have certain types of health issues, obtaining approval for life insurance isn’t always easy. This can be the case for those who have been diagnosed with ileitis.
Ileitis is a health condition that affects the small intestine. This condition can be chronic. It causes inflammation of the portion of an individual’s small intestine that is known as the ileum – which is also often referred to as the ileocolitis.
The condition is actually considered to be a type of Crohn’s disease, and it affects only the area of the ileum where the final action in salvaging fluids, nutrients, and electrolytes takes place prior to the final emptying of the colon.
Some of the most common symptoms of the condition will typically include a chronic history of diarrhea, pain in the lower right quadrant of the abdomen, a low grade fever, an increase of blood WBC, and at times, a palpable mass in the lower right side of the abdomen which is due in large part to a swelled colon.
If you have ileitis and you’ve been turned down for life insurance in the past, there is good news. It is possible to qualify for traditionally underwritten coverage. However, in order to do so, you have a much better chance when working with a company that specializes in higher risk cases. That being the situation, we can help.
We work with many of the top rated life insurance companies in the market place, and we can help to match you with the carrier that will best fit your needs – oftentimes at an affordable premium price.
What the Life Insurance Underwriters Want to Know When You Have Ileitis
When applying for life insurance with ileitis, the underwriters will want to know more in depth information regarding your health condition. This will help them in determining how – and how well – you are managing your condition. While this condition is not considered to be life threatening in and of itself, by letting it go unmanaged, it can lead to more serious health conditions – which can increase the risk of claim to a life insurance company.
Some of the questions that the life insurance underwriters will typically ask you regarding your ileitis condition will include the following:
- When were you initially diagnosed with your condition? It is important for the underwriters to know when you were initially diagnosed with ileitis. This is because detecting this condition early can lead to better control of the condition – which could help you to obtain a Standard rating on a life insurance policy. By not keeping the condition under control, however, a mild substandard, or even a medium substandard rating is more likely.
- Do you know what factors trigger your ileitis symptoms? The underwriters will also need to know which factors tend to trigger your ileitis symptoms. This is because this knowledge can also help you to better control your condition. For example, you can stay away from foods that trigger the factors of diarrhea, and in turn, eliminate the risk of additional complications of the condition.
- Have you had any surgery due to this condition? In some cases, individuals have undergone surgery to remove bowel obstructions due to their ileitis condition. The underwriters will need to know if you have had any type of surgery that is related to your condition. Having a positive prognosis following the surgery could lead to a medium substandard, or even a mild substandard life insurance policy rating.
- What, if any, medications are you taking for your condition? It is also important for the underwriters to know if you are taking any type of medication to help in controlling your condition and if so, what. Some medications that are commonly prescribed for ileitis include antispasmodics and / or antidiarrheals. By keeping to a medication schedule that has been prescribed by your doctor, you are showing that you are taking an active role in controlling your condition – which could lead to a mild substandard, or even to a standard policy rating.
- Over the past 6 months, have you experienced any severe symptoms of your ileitis? The underwriters will need to know if you have experienced any of the severe symptoms that are associated with ileitis within the past 6 months. Some of these may include severe pain in the right lower quadrant of your abdomen, and / or excessive diarrhea. If you have experienced one or both of these, it could be a sign that you have an underlying medical issue that will require additional medical evaluation. With this in mind, it may be necessary to wait before moving forward with your life insurance application.
- Over the past 6 months, have you undergone any type of endoscopic testing that is related to your condition? If you have undergone any type of endoscopic tests that are related to your ileitis, it will be important to let the underwriters know this – as well as to share the results of this testing with them. This information can provide additional information for them to assess the overall health of your colon and ileum.
In addition to the condition specific information that the underwriters will require, it is likely that the life insurance company will also ask that you take a medical examination as a part of the insurance underwriting process. This will include meeting with a paramedical professional who will record your heart rate reading and your blood pressure.
You will also be asked to provide a blood and urine sample. These samples will be analyzed for certain types of health issues that could pose additional risk of claim to the life insurance company.
The insurer will also review the information that you have provided to them on the life insurance application for coverage. This will include data such as your age, gender, height and weight, smoking status, marital status, occupation and income, overall health history, and details on whether or not you participate in hobbies that are considered to be risky or dangerous (such as sky diving or rock climbing).
Once all of the information has been reviewed, the life insurance underwriters will be able to determine an approval for coverage, and if so, the appropriate amount to charge for your policy’s premium.
How to Increase the Chance for Life Insurance Approval
In order to help with increasing your chance for life insurance approval with ileitis, it is typically best to work with a company that has access to more than one insurance company. We can help you with that. We work with numerous insurers – and we can point you in the right direction during the application process, saving you countless hours of time and frustration. When you’re ready to begin the process, simply get started with the form on this page.
If you have any questions along the way regarding how to obtain life insurance with ileitis, how to obtain premium quotes, or even about life insurance in general, please feel free to contact us directly. We can be reached toll-free at 888-229-7522. We want to ensure that you obtain the coverage that you need, so contact us today. We’re here to help.