Car insurance costs is not the most attention-grabbing topic, however, saving money on cheap car insurance might peak your interest.
Especially if you fall in the younger age group of car insurers. It’s no secret that younger drivers get charged higher insurance premiums.
Car insurance providers play a game of risk when assigning insurance coverage, so the riskier your demographic may be, like new drivers or young drivers, the more they will charge for your monthly car insurance premiums or car insurance rates.
Car Insurance For Male Drivers 25 and Under
It doesn’t seem quite fair having to start out with a higher auto insurance rate because of your age, but again, car insurance companies are taking a greater risk by insuring a younger driver.
Statistically, new drivers, especially teen drivers, are easily distracted and tend to have more fault accidents, speeding tickets, and even DUI’s. Young adults’ lack of driving experience means auto insurance companies have to pay out on more insurance policy claims.
Finding the cheapest car insurance as a 25-year-old male isn’t necessarily like finding a needle in a haystack of needles. There are multiple factors that go into deciding the cost of car insurance: age, gender, location, driving record, make and model of the car, and credit score.
Because we are talking about a specific age group, we will look at the top 7 auto insurance providers and discuss how each company is competitive in the hunt for your business.
The 7 Best Car Insurance Companies for Male Drivers Under 25
Here are the seven best companies that offer competitive coverage for males under 25:
Known for their “Safe Driving” Discount commercials, Allstate is one of the insurance titans in the United States.
If you go three years without an accident, you can earn up to 22% in discounts. Go five years, you can pull in up to 35% in discounts.
They also offer a smaller 5% discount to drivers who consistently pay their monthly premiums on time.
Learn More: Read our full Allstate Auto Insurance Review.
We’re all familiar with the Geico Gecko. Geico offers a very user-friendly platform with extremely competitive discounts including defensive driving, good grades, accident-free, and safety feature discounts.
Snagging all these discounts makes Geico a very competitive company for the under 25 male demographic.
Learn More: Read our full Geico Car Insurance Review.
Progressive allows you to use their platform to gather multiple free insurance quotes from various different companies, even if you choose another company over them.
With their Name Your Price Tool, you can find coverage that firmly rests in a comfortable budget for you.
They also offer numerous discounts, including safe driving, pay in full, good student, and multi-car to name a few.
Learn More: Read our full Progressive Car Insurance Review.
State Farm is another insurance titan. They offer the Steer Clear program, stating if you go three years with no moving violations or at-fault accidents, you qualify as having good driving habits, and will receive a 15% discount.
Also if you sign up for their Drive Safe and Save app, you can safe up to 50% of your insurance premium.
Essentially this app communicates your driving habits directly to State Farm, like a monitoring software system.
Your score will be evaluated each renewal, earning you discounts.
Learn More: Read our full State Farm Car Insurance Review.
USAA offers car insurance for members of the military and their immediate family.
If you are a member of the military and are a 25 year old or younger driver, you can earn up to 15% off your comprehensive coverage by garaging your car at the military base.
You can also receive discounts for defensive driving courses, multi-policy discounts, safe driver, good student, and customer loyalty.
If you are on your parent’s USAA car insurance and have a continual period of zero accidents are infractions, you can earn up to 10% in family discounts.
Liberty Mutual offers the most standard discounts than any other company we’ve discussed today and is number one is customer service.
If you’re a young professional, you can earn discounts through their Affinity program. Just moved? Change your address with them and bam, earn another discount.
They also offer accident forgiveness and new car replacement. If you happen to crash your new car within the 1st year of ownership, they will make sure you receive enough money to buy the same car despite depreciation.
Bought by Allstate, Esurance has a very user-friendly platform promising fast quotes and claims service, even offering a 24/7 customer service line.
The give the First 5 discount, earning a 5% discount for just signing up with their auto insurance company. Esurance also offers the Switch and Save discount, wooing you away from other companies and rewarding you again for choosing their company. Multi-policy and multi-car discounts are also available.
Member of the Pac-12? You can earn a discount with Esurance, along with safe driver, anti-theft and good grades. Lastly, they reward you for paying your monthly premiums in one lump sum, earning up to 10% off your entire car insurance premium.
Learn More: Read our full Esurance Auto Insurance Review.
What Other Factors Affect Your Car Insurance Premiums?
Age and gender are not the only factors that can take a toll on your car insurance premiums, let’s look at the universal truths of all auto insurance policies:
Each car insurance quote you receive will be based on the same principles of the other companies, with each company offering some sort of insurance policy discount incentives.
Make sure to talk to your individual insurance agent to find what specific discounts the company you choose offers.
Here are a few of the major insurance discounts to look for when shopping auto insurance quotes:
- Bundling: Most companies offer multiple types of insurance coverage, including renters insurance, home insurance, and life insurance to name a few. By snagging different policies with the same company, you get to evade the higher premiums.
- Multi-Car: If you have more than one driver in your home, most car insurance companies will cover each driver and grant you a discount because of all the extra business.
- Safe Driving: Most companies offer safe driver discounts Companies like Allstate offer accident forgiveness, meaning you aren’t automatically penalized for having an accident, even if it is your fault. There are several companies that offer specific good driver programs. We will go over a few when we dive in to the top 7 insurance providers for male drivers 25 and under.
- Defensive Driving Course: I’m not sure of how many drivers out there have successfully avoiding a speeding ticket throughout their entire driving record. If you have had the unfortunate blue lights flashing in your rear view mirror and end up with a ticket, companies will grant discounts if you take defensive driving courses. This can also be a twofold opportunity for you. Most states will also erase points off your driving history when you successfully complete a defensive driving course.
- Anti-Theft Devices: Because location plays a role in your car insurance premium, theft is a concern. For example, in the PNW, Subaru’s are the most stolen cars, therefore may be assigned higher rates. If you can add any anti-theft devices to your car, or buy one with them already installed, auto insurance providers will grant you discounts off your car insurance policy.
- Safety Features: Most newer cars today come with standard safe driving features like anti-lock brakes, seat belts, and even rear view cameras. Make sure to read your car manual and ask about any safe driving features it has that could earn you a discount.
- Good Student Discounts: If you are a student or have a student living under your roof, you may be entitled to a good grade If your student maintains a b average each semester, you can count on snagging a discount.
Type of Coverage
Each state requires a certain amount of car insurance you legally must have to drive. There are various types of auto insurance coverage that you can purchase, each driving up the cost based on the total amount of coverage.
For example, if you get the lowest amount of coverage leaving you liable for costs of repair, you will get the cheapest rates.
Here are the different types of coverage offered:
- Liability Coverage: This covers someone else’s property when you’re driving with their permission. This usually means protecting someone else’s property from any accidental damage the policyholder caused.
- Collision Coverage: This covers your car in the event of colliding with another motorist or object whether you are at fault or not.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This covers collision as well as any other possible damage including weather, theft, or vandalism.
- Bodily Injury Coverage: This covers you and any driver in your home if they hit another motorist, causing harm to someone else. It covers the injured motorist only.
- PIP: Personal Injury Protection covers any injury treatment of the driver and/or passengers of the policyholder’s car. Sometimes it can cover lost wages, medical bills, and even funeral costs.
Shopping for Car Insurance As a Male Under 25
Statistically, as a male driver 25 years old and younger, you are at a greater risk of harm or death when driving.
Because of the overwhelming statistics, car insurance providers hedge their bets by increasing your monthly premium.
Despite the higher premiums, you can bring your monthly rates down by taking advantage of some or even all the discounts we mentioned today.