Amica Auto Insurance
- A.M. Best: A+
- J.D. Power: 5/5 for overall satisfaction
- Better Business Bureau: A+
Though it comes with a higher price tag, Amica offers next-level customer service with its car insurance coverage.
A steady performer with a longstanding history in the industry, Amica is one of our top picks for car insurance.
Read on to see what makes it stand out among the crowd and decide whether or not it could be the right fit for your car insurance needs.
Table of Contents:
- About Amica Insurance
- Policies & Features
- How to Get a Quote
- Amica Discounts
- Customer Service and Support
- Pros & Cons
- Alternatives to Amica
About Amica Insurance
Short for American Mutual Insurance Company of America, Amica has been in business since 1907, founded by A.T. Vigneron in Providence, Rhode Island.
Amica holds the title of being the first company in the nation to offer car insurance, bravely entering uncharted territory.
Amica continued to expand its insurance offerings, now providing policy shoppers with everything from flood insurance to small business protection.
Today, the company employs more than 3,000 individuals in 44 offices nationwide, with headquarters in Lincoln, Rhode Island.
Amica has won several awards over the years, most recently ranking on Forbes list of America’s Best Midsize Employers.
While Amica is smaller than some of its competitors, its size has allowed it to form close relationships with clients and give them an exceptional experience from start to finish.
If Amica had a report card, it would contain straight A’s. The company consistently brings in high marks from credit rating agencies, consumer data, and reviews.
Here are its most noteworthy ratings:
- A.M. Best: Amica has an “A+” rating from A.M. Best, signifying excellent financial health and claims-paying ability.
- J.D. Power: Amica received a 5/5 for overall satisfaction and claims servicing in the 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, meaning it is “Among the Best.”
- Better Business Bureau: Amica is BBB-accredited, adding another layer of authenticity. The company has an “A+” which suggests a dedication to resolving issues with customers.
Amica’s J.D. Power scores are particularly notable and difficult to attain. Even more impressive, Amica is the first car insurance company to secure 50 customer satisfaction awards from J.D. Power.
Amica Auto Policy Options
Amica comes with a lineup of policy options you might expect from a leading carrier, with some impressive additional features.
We’ll look at both below:
- Personal property liability: This coverage kicks in for damages done to the other individual involved in the accident if you’re the at-fault driver.
- Injury liability: If you or the people in your car get injured, this coverage can provide for loss of income and medical bills.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Not everyone carries enough insurance. If the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough coverage, this protection foots the bill for repairs.
- Collision coverage: If you collide with a car or anything else on the road, collision coverage can repair your car.
- Comprehensive coverage: This protection covers everything else, like theft, flood damage, or fires.
- Roadside assistance: Dead batteries, flat tires, and other roadside occurrences can be covered with this supplemental option.
- Full glass coverage: You can add this coverage to your plan to ensure damaged glass is completely replaced.
- Rental coverage: While your car is in the shop, this coverage reimburses you for the cost of a rental car.
- Platinum Choice Auto: This premier line of products includes benefits like identity theft monitoring, accident forgiveness, and some of the coverage options above.
Free Policy Features
Amica also offers the features below, free of charge:
- Lock replacement
- Damaged glass repair
- Deployed airbag repair
- Income loss replacement for court appearance
- $1,000 bail bonds
- No depreciation guarantee if your new car is totaled in the first year
How To Get a Quote from Amica
Though it might not be as sleek as some competitors, Amica’s website is simple to navigate and use.
You can get quotes online in just a few minutes’ time.
You’ll start by entering the type of insurance you want, along with your location. From there, you’ll be asked to provide the details below:
- Details on your driving history
- Name, birthday, address
- Vehicle make and model, ownership status, annual mileage
- Additional drivers and vehicles
- Current insurance
Amica’s quote process is pretty standard and streamlined to provide you with quick access to rates.
The amount you pay for coverage could be majorly decreased by the discounts offered by your provider.
You’ll find potential savings with the discounts below if you apply for coverage with Amica.
- Loyalty discount: Spend two years insured by Amica and you’ll be offered a discount.
- Multi-policy discount: You could save up to 15% by bundling multiple types of insurance from Amica.
- Multiple vehicles discount: If your family puts more than one car on the plan, you could save up to 25%.
- Legacy discount: If you’re under the age of 30 and buy a policy, and your parents have been loyal policyholders for 5 years, you’ll get a discount.
- Homeowners discount: Whether you insure your home with Amica or not, just being a homeowner means you’ll get a discount.
- Safe driving courses discounts: If you take a defensive driving course, or you’re a young driver and take driver’s ed, you can get a discount.
- Good student discount: 15-25 year-old students with a “B” average or higher will get a discount for their hard work.
- Away at college discount: If a student leaves their vehicle behind and only drives it when they’re home, a discount could lower your premiums.
- Safe vehicle discount: Anti-theft and safety features like collision warnings can get you lower rates.
- Automated payment discount: If you set your policy to autopay, you’ll see the difference in your premiums.
- E-discount: If you opt into paperless billing and account management, you’ll be rewarded for your environmental efforts.
- Paying in full discount: If you pay all of your premiums up front, you can knock some money off your payments.
Customer Service and Support
Customer service is Amica’s sweetspot. You can reach Amica’s representatives anytime, anywhere.
You have the ability to contact an Amica rep online, over the phone, via email, or in person at a local branch, where you’ll be met with friendly and timely assistance.
Amica’s 1st place J.D. Power ranking for customer service speaks for itself.
As a premier highly-rated provider, Amica understands how important it is to protect the information you entrust them with.
On their site, Amica promises policyholders it will exercise best practices in securing your information and identity.
Amica utilizes firewalls and encryption, with SSL protocol. You can learn more about these measures and how Amica uses your data on the company’s website.
Pros and Cons of Amica
There are some definite advantages and a few drawbacks to purchasing your car insurance policy from Amica.
- Claims satisfaction: To reiterate, Amica is the leading car insurance company in terms of claims satisfaction and overall customer service.
- Loyalty discounts: Amica’s loyalty discounts, like their unique legacy discount, stand out and offer significant savings.
- Additional benefits: Amica’s complimentary and additional policy features are incredibly valuable, and not ones you’ll find with every provider.
- High-risk coverage: If your record shows that you’re a dangerous driver, you can expect high rates or an outright rejection when you apply.
- Cost: In general, Amica’s policies don’t offer the lowest rates for coverage.
Alternatives to Amica
Don’t stop your search for car insurance with just one company. Take a look at the alternatives to Amica below to make an informed decision.
- State Farm: Amica isn’t the only company that stands out for exceptional customer service. You should also consider State Farm if you want access to a local agent.
- Allstate: If your driving record isn’t quite what it should be, State Farm is a good choice, giving you a chance to lower your rates after 6 months of safe driving.
- GEICO: For some of the lowest rates around and a seamless online experience, give GEICO a chance.
Is Amica the Right Provider for You?
If you’re looking for a carrier that will make everything from calling with a coverage question to filing claims painless, then it could be.
With a great selection of driver discounts and a comprehensive selection of coverage options, Amica probably has the policy you need. But with a poor driving record, you might not be able to tap into those benefits.
At the end of the day, you have to weigh the cost of coverage and your family’s needs to decide which company is the best fit.